Skip to main content

 

We're back in Machynlleth.  They didn't stop to eat or drink but he walked with us as far as the footpath and then turned back.  She pressed on climbing these ancient 'Roman steps'.


















Then we're looking down on the town from the top of the hill.The sign tells us we're on the right path though my nose had already worked that out.  I continued to point her in the right direction whenever we came to a junction.  On the whole, I got it right.

We then reached a wooded valley and started to drop down.  At least there was some shade.


















The woods ended and we took what she thought was a footpath along some fields of sheep and by a river.  There were no stiles so I got thrown over the fence twice.  Luckily, we were almost at the road.  Then they drove to the Osprey Centre on the Dyfi estuary but left me in the car.

Next morning we were back at the same place to continue south to Borth.  It was another hot day but she had plenty of water and he was meeting us for coffee.  As usual, the walk started with a climb and a few stops for photos and drinks.  I think she was looking for an osprey but could only see the observation tower.  We could also see across to where we'd walked earlier in the month from Aberdyfi.

 We dropped down to a road then climbed another steep hill and she continued to stop to take photos and check we were on the right path.  I took the opportunity to try to get the halti off my nose.




















 The path then crossed fields and went through woods and eventually we reached another stream - water at last!  It was taking longer than she thought to get down to the main road and, when we saw him coming towards us, I guessed we must be almost there.  We were.
At the cafe I met another beagle and had a drink while they had coffee and cake then it was off again - even though we'd already walked 9 miles.
We reached the bog, Cors Fochno, and walked for at least another 5 miles along flat paths with bog on either side - but no water!!!
She was getting tired but still managed a detour to see a sign telling us it was a bog.  








Then we were back on the path turning right and left to reach the edge of Borth where he met us.  We were all hungry but the pub had no room so he drove to Aberystwyth along a narrow road, drove round the city which was packed with tourists, then drove all the way back to Borth without stopping.  Then they found somewhere to eat and I got the leftovers.

Next morning we caught the train from Borth to Aberystwyth to complete the first half of the Coastal Path (except for Anglesey).  We all went and he stayed in Aberystwyth while we walked back.  It was a steep climb up from the end of the pier to the top of the first hill where the funicular stopped.  

It was a steep walk down to Clarach Bay but she was enjoying it because she saw dolphins in the sea. She did take photos but you'll struggle to see them.  At Clarach Bay she debated stopping for coffee but pressed on.  She did stop to let me have a drink and a swim before we set off up the next steep hill.





Then it was like being on a roller coaster - up one hill and down the other side.  There were quite a few people walking in the other direction and they were all complaining. The sign on the pier clearly showed Borth as being 5 miles from Aberystwyth (as crow flies!)  It was also 1500 feet of ascent and descent which was tough.

 























We continued on what was not going to be an easy last walk as, just when we thought we'd reached the last hill, there was another.  At last we reached the memorial and could look down on Borth.


















Borth's a funny place, full of unusual buildings (and people).  We got back to Mo just after he'd got back from the train station.  She's done rougly half the coast path (although she needs to finish Anglesey) and I've done it with her.  I don't think she'd have managed without me.  I brought humour, kept her on the right track and pulled her up the hills (and down).  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wet and windy walk to Abersoch

  We left Hell's Mouth and looked back at the waves crashing on the beach.  It wasn't promising. As we walked over the top of the headland we got close to the edge.  It was steep.  'I don't think I want to go any further.'  She didn't listen.  We headed on in the wind and the rain.  Sometimes we nearly got blown over.   See that headland?  That's where we were heading. Oh no!  That's miles away. 'Please can we go back,' I woofed as the wind blew me against the fence. She didn't listen.   Then we reached this field. I couldn't see 'breeding bulls' anywhere so we continued.  Notice I'm the one in front. Eventually we reached the top and started walking in the direction of Abersoch.  We never actually got there.   Ian was waiting in the first carpark by the sea.   I enjoyed having a rub down and a drink.  She had to wait to get back to get out of her wet things.

Aberdaron to another Towyn

  It started very well with a rabbit in the path but I wasn't able to follow it so continued along the path by a stream until we came to a road.  No sign of the sea yet.  We crossed fields of cows, a bull and lots of sheep.  Then we reached the top of the cliffs and I had to take care - narrow path, steep drop down to the sea and gusts of wind.   Looking back we could see Aberdaron in the far distance.  Looking forward we could see the hill we had to climb over to reach Ian.  Before we reached that mountain, we got lost!  She did find an interesting building that was once a mine working but had to walk cross country to find the road we should have been on.   I kept a look out so we didn't get lost again.   Then we reached the top and there were horses.  We had lunch (I stole her sandwich!) then continued down hill and found Ian who'd cycled up the road.  He went back on the road and we walked down to a cafe where...

Penmon Point to Pentraeth beach

  We're back on Anglesey and he's joining us for the first bit through these paths between wild flowers and by the high walls of the priory fields. I'm still trying to get this off my nose but nobody's taking any notice of me. Through the gate there's views of the mountains of Eryri and more sheep with lambs. Then he heads back to the car part (and a coffee) while we continue along lanes passing more fields and houses. We pass a herd of belted Galloways who had a lovely view of the sea looking back from where we'd come from. We passed lots of gorze bushes (with the scent of coconut) and eventually dropped down fields and steps to reach the rocky sea shore.  Luckily the path went along a lane for a while until the signpost led us to the shore path which was clear.  I wasn't happy walking along the decking but that was better than walking along the top of the wall that seemed to last for miles.   We got to the end and then I saw him coming towards us. Only ano...